NALS 68th Annual Education + Networking Conference | Little Rock, Arkansas | Link |NALS 68TH ANNUAL EDUCATION AND NETWORKING CONFERENCE
Registration Now Open! Registration for the NALS 68th Annual Education and Networking Conference is now OPEN. The conference is being held in beautiful Little Rock, Arkansas, September 25-28, 2019. Early-bird Registration ends June 15, 2019 (mail-in registrations must be postmarked by June 15, 2019). The regular registration period ends on August 15, 2019. Late registrations will be honored until September 10, 2019.
May 16, 2019
Solo Practitioner is looking for a dynamic and energetic team player to join our team as a part time Paralegal (20-25 hours). Candidate must be self -motivated and be comfortable with client communications and able to draft documents, legal research and provide overall support to the Attorney’s needs that will enhance our growing legal firm.
• Record and store client information
• Draft real estate contracts, transfer documents, deeds, closing documents
• Draft pleadings, discovery demands and responses, trial preparation
• Draft Wills and Power of Attorney documents
• Familiar with loan modification packages
• 3-5 years of Paralegal experience
• Ability to prioritize and multitask
• Ability to follow instructions without excess supervision
• Must be highly organized and meticulous
• Must be a Notary
• Knowledgeable in Microsoft Office tools
• Strong communication skills, both written and oral
• Strong time management skills and the ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment; ability to coordinate multiple tasks concurrently to meet deadlines
If you are interested in this position, please send resume and cover letter (no phone call). Salary commensurate with experience
March 19, 2019
An Overview of the NALS Board of Directors Retreat
Dear NALS Member
As a responsibility to membership, NALS Board of Directors and the association’s legal counsel (Hall Estill) have rectified the internal issues amongst staff, and the investigation is now concluded. As legal support professionals, you all can appreciate that concerns regarding sensitive personnel matters directly cannot be disclosed. We do, however, want to clear up a few rumors that have been circulating over the past few months. At no time, was any employee of NALS, Inc. being investigated for embezzlement. We do not have reason to believe that any staff person has misappropriated any funds of NALS, Inc. We want to remind you that this investigation was solely regarding staff/employees of NALS, Inc. The Board of Directors received counsel from an independent third-party (attorney, Molly Aspan) who represented NALS, Inc., which includes the NALS Board, all committees, states, chapters, and members. At no point did counsel represent or advise any employee.
Throughout this process, we have heard your concerns, and we are striving to maximize transparency while simultaneously complying with the law. As such, we would like to provide you with a list of topics discussed during our Board Retreat earlier this month.
NALS 68th Annual Education + Networking Conference (Little Rock, Arkansas)
We are pleased to have all staff joining us during the 68th Annual Education and Networking Conference in Little Rock, AR, September 26-28, 2019. While you’re at the conference, make sure you say hi to Lydia Goodner, Maria Easterly, and Morgan Ballou, and thank them for their hard work.
The NALS Board of Directors will be hosting a Networking suite. Throughout the Conference, we encourage all attendees to stop by the suite during session breaks.
Thank you to the NALS Foundation for continuing to sponsor our keynote speaker. Trustees are also working on our celebration of NALS 90th year.
We will also be recognizing Tammy Hailey, CAE, the retiring Executive Director of NALS, for her 40 years of service to the association and this community. Tammy’s service has been invaluable, and we would not have made it this far without her.
The Little Rock Conference Taskforce has been working diligently to find great speakers for this year’s conference and we much appreciate every one of them. We intend to have a detailed schedule on the website soon.
We have received numerous emails concerning our current Standing Rules and Bylaws, and believe that now is a great time to make some proposed changes. As such, we are implementing a Governance Review Taskforce. Additionally, with the transition to a new Executive Director, we are implementing a Financial Oversight Committee. These new processes will create a more transparent environment. Be on the lookout for more details about how to become involved in these groups.
Previously, a decision was made to increase member dues by $5.00 effective July 1, 2019. As a result of the sale of the NALS Resource Center last year, the Board has decided that this increase is unnecessary and will no longer be added to your dues. If you have received an invoice for your July 2019 membership dues, please contact Morgan Ballou for an adjustment. Moving forward, all other invoices have been corrected.
Certification + Education
NALS Board of Directors is seeking grants to support numerous innovative board initiatives. If you are a skilled grant writer, please contact us at Board@NALS.org.
We intend to provide another NALS Certification amnesty opportunity. Details of that event will be announced in a digital publication later this year.
NALS Board of Directors and staff will be utilizing an online project management system to establish accountability and continued communications amongst staff and board members. This will allow us to better report to our members on the status of any pending projects.
Finally, be on the lookout for the announcement about our 2020 and 2021 annual conference locations.
Thank you to the members who have reached out to the Board with your suggestions and feedback. It is because of our members that we can make NALS the go-to association for all legal support professionals.
2019 NALS Board of Directors
April 22, 2019
Law Office of Tara A. Scully, P.C.
646 Main Street, Suite 302
Port Jefferson, New York 11777
(631) 509-4646 fax
PARALEGAL NEEDED 4/22/19
We are a growing Elder Law practice seeking an experienced Medicaid Paralegal with a minimum of 1-year experience. Experience and knowledge of the Medicaid application process is required. Our firm practices in areas of Elder Law including estate planning, guardianship proceedings, special needs planning, Medicaid applications, and estate administration.
The ideal candidate will be a detail-oriented individual with excellent customer service skills.
Job duties include:
· Medicaid intake, processing, and review with Department of Social Services
· Maintaining cases and deadlines
· Communications to clients, financial institutions
Other job duties include:
· Scheduling and confirming client appointments.
· Answering incoming telephone calls and responding to client inquiries as needed.
· Corresponding with clients and outside agencies.
· Light data/time entry and financial requirements.
· Serving as a witness to the execution of estate planning documents including advance directives, trusts, and last wills and testaments.
· Additional administrative tasks as needed.
· Ability to work independently, with minimal supervision.
· Ability to multi-task and work as part of a team.
· Must be highly organized, detail oriented, and have effective time management skills.
· At least 1-year experience completing Medicaid applications.
Following attributes not required but a plus:
· Notary Public
· Experience working with diverse clientele
· 25 - 35 hours per week (flexible)
Job Type: Part-time